Friday, July 1, 2011

Super Mango Chicken-o-Matic?

The story today isn't really my lbs. I've been having trouble getting two meals under control--breakfast, the most important meal of the day, and lunch, my favorite meal of the day. I thought I had breakfast down pat, but, as it turns out, the lack of structure of the summer is harder to deal with than the hyper-structure of the other three seasons. So, I'm trying to add a little bit of mealtime structure back to my schedule. Today is the first day of the newly structured meal plan.

Breakfast:  bowl of Cheerios, cup of blackberries, and a cup of skimmed milk. The book I'm reading, The 4-Hour Body, suggests eating more for breakfast, and I'm good with that, believe me. But, I'm not as clear on what to eat.  Ferriss suggests three hard-boiled eggs. Can't do that. Nope. Ick. Next he suggests low-fat meat. For a few months several years ago, I ate a chicken breast for breakfast. That's not bad. It gets a little boring, but that's probably okay. His third suggestion was the protein shake.

Okay, I'm trying to drink one of those right now. I bought it at the grocery store yesterday. It's a mango flavored Mix One enhanced protein shake. It has a lot of sugar, so I was reluctant to buy it. I'm trying not to drink calories, another Ferriss suggestion, and one that I like a lot. Easy to remember and pretty easy to do. The taste, smell, and mouth-feel are killing me. This is like trying to down medicinal mango, sidewalk chalk, and Golytely colonoscopy preparation drink.



Tomorrow, I'm going back to chicken--easy to prepare and delicious. Breakfast is going to look a lot more like lunch. Perhaps, this is a sign. I love a good Mexican breakfast. The problem is the making of it, not the eating of it. I have time now, but I don't really have time to prepare food the rest of the year. At least, I've learned that the protein shake is not the way to go.

Lunch: Easy when the ingredients for a great sandwich are in the house. So, I went shopping yesterday. In fact, it's 11:00 AM, almost time for lunch. It has to taste better than the stuff I just forced down. I keep waiting for the blow back. With apologies to the good people of Max One, I'm never touching the stuff again.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to the protein shake problem. During the worst part of my chemo-induced nausea, I kept trying to drink Ensure and such. Terrible going down, even worse coming back up. How can anyone find those things edible? Odd that we're on opposite ends of the weight issue.

    ReplyDelete